I try to pack a lot into a soup so here is something delicious I tried this week:
Approx 1 and 1/2 cup (12 oz servings = 12)
Wash and chop all vegetables into medium chunks
- 4 cups kale
- 2 cups swiss chard
- 1 cup asparagus
- 1 small onion
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 cups of veg. broth or chicken broth or bone broth
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or your choice) May need more.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chiplote powder or spicy seasoning of your choice, add more or none to suit your taste.
Bring to boil, 15 minutes, then a slow simmer for 30 minutes more.
Allow soup to cool.
Blend to a chunky consistency.
- Add 1 can coconut milk, optional.
- Brown 1/2 pound ground beef or 1/2 pound lamb sausage, chopped. Do not add this until the last step, after soup is blended.
In individual bowls, add several slices of avocado, 2-4 Tablespoons shredded cheese. I prefer Swiss cheese from local Julia at Chan Chan.
Add a portion/serving of ground beef or lamb sausage to each bowl.
Ladle soup over the cheese/avocado/meat in individual bowls.
This has a lot of ingredients but could be made with less. I used vegetables I had on hand. Simply substitute some other vegetables, for example. As is, this recipe offers lots of leafy greens in a delicious form.
I started this soup about noon, took it off the heat and added things as the day moved along. It made a delicious dinner and filled the freezer with several containers of a great lunch at home.
It will keep in the refrigerator for several days.